Become an Apprentice
2020 Apprenticeship Applications have been postponed. Go to TOP NEWS on our home page for more information. Click Here to read the 2020 Application Procedures.
Apprenticeship in the pipe trades is a highly selective program, each candidate is carefully screened. No one with drug or alcohol problems can qualify and acceptance for training depends on the applicant's qualifications and the manpower needs of the Local at the time of the selection process.
The following is a description of each Apprenticeship Field.
- A Plumber Apprentice assembles, installs and repairs pipes, fittings and fixtures of heating, water and drainage systems; according to specifications and plumbing codes. Studies building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installation. Cuts and threads pipe cutters, cutting torch and pipe threading machine.
- A Steamfitter/Pipefitter Apprentice lays out, fabricates, assembles, installs and maintains piping and systems, fixtures and equipment for steam, hot water, heating cooling lubricating sprinkling and industrial processing systems.
- A HVAC Apprentice assists in the installation of Heating and Air Conditioning systems. Assembles and installs variety of piping for air, ammonia, gas and water systems. Works on electrical installation and wiring for HVAC equipment, switches and controls. Also recovery of refrigerant gasses (CFC Certified). Start test and balance air or water systems.
The geographical area covered by the Plumbers and Steamfitters Local #467 consists of solely in San Mateo County.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- AGE: Minimum required age of 17 years old to take math exam. Applicant must be 18 years of age
to be dispatched to an employer.
- EDUCATIONAL PREREQUISITE: High school graduate or legal equivalent. When you apply, you MUST bring a high school or college transcript of grades showing two (2) semesters of MATHEMATICS with a passing grade of “C” or higher.
- PHYSICAL PREREQUISITE: No physical examination is required. Applicant must be able to perform the physical requirements of the Trade.
- MATH TEST: Applicants must take and pass a math test by 70%. An oral interview will be scheduled at a later date for those passing the math test.
- DRUG/ALCOHOL TESTING: Applicants who pass the math test and oral interview will be subject to a drug/alcohol test. Negative test results are required prior to being dispatched to an employer. Applicants are responsible for the drug/alcohol test costs.
- HOURLY WAGE: Starting wage is 40% of the current Journeyman rate of pay with a graduating increase in percentage.
- VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE: Will be required, as well as DMV printout, when hired by an
- LENGTH OF TRAINING: Five (5) years, 8,000 hours on-the-job training and 1,340 hours of classroom training.
Our Training Center is located in San Mateo, CA and the contact information is as follows:
JATC, Local 467
1519 Rollins Road
Burlingame, CA 94010
Phone: (650) 692-0442
Fax: (650) 692-7620
Director of Training
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the Membership Page which outlines the procedures for joining Local 467.